20090415

ARTSY FARTSY


BARBARA AHLBRAND

EDDIE & STEVE 38" X 40"


BAROMETRIC CHANGE 48" X 50"

Recently at a Cincinnati arts event, I met the most amazing artist.  As I wandered the dozens of studios, I couldn't take my eyes off her incredible oil paintings, particularly her portraits and her ceiling fan series (sampled above), and she proved to be just as terrific.   Ms. Ahlbrand sat behind a large table as I entered her 4th floor studio, and we started to talk.  She tried on my rings and let me rummage around.  Along with the canvases, she had remarkable works on wooden folding screens and paper drawing.  All of her work has this abstract boldness that is just intoxicating.  Out the window, the rain was clearing up just enough to let the sun set against an old brick wall.  It really made for a special moment.  I was elated when my ring got stuck on her finger, "I get a PAINTING!" I thought.  Sadly, she was able to slip it off  as I took my last long looks, and continued on my way happy to have met her.  Sigh...If only my fingers were a little smaller!  Until I have my own, I can look at Barbara Ahlbrand's work here.