20090819

LOOKIE-LIEU


BELT IT OUT


I have been wanting to write about belts for a while. I like them. I wear them. I used to have a ton of them in rotation. I usually wear one for a few days, slide on a new one, add contrast or color to an outfit with a special one, and my floor always looked like the reptile house at the zoo. But something happened...

A few months back I noticed that my floor was much safer, and I was only wearing two belts...EVER. I tried a little experiment where I put all of my belts (save these two below) into a box. I was going to see what belts I would miss. I only saved one (the thin grey one that I took a chain off of), but have worn it three times.


These two woven belts have gotten me through every fashion situation I have encountered for almost half a year! That is nuts! I have to question if I am getting more refined and settled in my ways (think designers' uniform), or if I am just getting lazy (think couch potato) ...


This little grey MJ one is interesting, but I don't think it is really revving my juices up. I must fall somewhere between the two posited extremes: I am happy with my belts, but wouldn't mind spicing up the repertoire.

Enter Raf Simons. His Spring 2010 collection really excited me. It worked as a litmus type test on my imagination to see if it was still buzzing. I was floored and amused by all the ways he worked belts into his looks. For such an unassuming/utilitarian accessory, it really can add whimsy and distortion. I'm not sure if I can really sport any of these, but at least these looks have gotten me thinking more about what a belt can really do, and less about keeping my pants up...I know, I know...