20100222

STYLEPHILE - OBEY PROPAGANDA


FAIREY PLAY


This past weekend (Feb. 19th) was Shepard Fairey's opening reception at the Zaha Hadid designed Contemporary Art Center in my home town of Cincinnati, Ohio. To commemorate the event and his show "Supply and Demand" a limited edition poster (above) was created. Personally, I love it. I think it captures the architecture of the building, I'm into the mood of Communist propaganda, and it makes me proud of my little city...

The Enquirer/Joseph Fuqua II

Not only did we get a poster, but Cincinnati now plays host to a handful of his murals as well! Here is the artist braving the ice and snow to slap up some of his work at 13th and Main Streets. The party was a MADHOUSE with a line around the block...and down a block...and down another block... As frustrating as crowds can be, it was quite refreshing to see so many people in such a conservative town lined up to participate in something I assumed was so out of the box for them. Well, you know what they say about making ASSumptions.... The man himself DJ'ed a set and because the crowd was so large they kept the party going an extra hour and a half! Way to go CAC! Hope your prosecco hangovers weren't so bad...



Now, its funny how things always seem to line up. While shopping last week in LA, I was really impressed by the Obey Propaganda collection I saw at Atmosphere in Los Feliz. The line just keeps getting better and better!. Basic grey is one of my favorite colors for spring and Obey always has such good ones. The ultra thin sweatshirt (creature comforts crew) has to be at the top of my list of must haves...While they lack the bold graphic prints that really define the brand, the little pocket t-shirts and tanks are also amazing.




And while the jeans are terrific (loving that light blue wash!) the Juvee short are the way to go. How good is this?