20091209

AU NATURALE


KNITTA PLEASE


It is getting BLUSTERY out there! It only took a few months for winter to catch up with me (I guess global warming is good for some things), and now that we are mid-holidays, the chill + the invites to Ugly Sweater Parties = me rethinking the "Holiday Sweater."

I'm a fan of bold. I love color, and I'm feeling big/chunky knits right now. The flip side is that a bold sweater can say a lot or even a little too much, think Bill Cosby. So, how do you manage to stay bold yet not step on anyones eyes?

I found some inspiration in what is called "Urban Knitting" or "Yarn Bombing!" This amazing little graffiti trend is popping up all over the glob and knocking my F* socks off! The daring, bold and deliberate nature of this knitting is so awe inspiring; not only for what it brings to the streets, but also for its ability to really have fun and play with urban icons.

clockwise: Les Hommes, Gianfranco Ferre, Missoni, Robert Geller, Thom Browne, Miharayasuhiro

Now, getting back to the sweaters...or seasonal icons...I'm taking a lesson from these urban knitters and going bold and brave and knitted this fall! Here are some amazing feats done with just two sticks, some yarn, and a lot of imagination...oh, and the yarn-bombing isn't half bad either...

Alexander McQueen

Etro


Vivienne Westwood

Missoni