20090716

LOOKIE-LIEU


"L ART DE DEMAIN SERA TRESOR COMMUN OU NE SERA PAS" - V.V. 1953


I am still digesting the Paris shows for Spring 2010. While Milan was amazingly fun and vibrant, Paris was a bit more subdued and elegant with a sharp wedge of nihilistic futurism. A pinnacle collection for me was Riccardo Tisci's "Latin Boy Goes to Morocco" for Givenchy. It hit all my favorite marks: textured layers, drop-crotch pants, leggings and shorts, hoods, great sandals, and skinny/flowing textures. 

It was the patterns of the collection that struck me the hardest. They jumped off the fabrics with a modern, graphic edge that reminded me strongly of the op-art of Victor Vasarely. Between 1953 and 1965 he was in his Black & White phase that was the foundation of his surface-defying technique. A Hungarian expatriate himself, I'm sure he would relate to the wandering Latino. 

This collection was also special in that the designer was due to meet Michael Jackson as a new client shortly before the singer's passing. The reflection of The Gloved One has been noted in this particular runway presentation, particularly in the studded stars.

Enjoy some of my favorite looks from the show enhanced with some inspiring op-art by Monsieur Vasarely...